Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Best Tantrum Yet

There's been a few times since I've had children that I've wanted to crawl under a rock, but yesterday took the cake.
The scene:
We're at Dr. Mullen's office checking out Bodie's eye infection (yep...pink eye).
We're all finished with the appointment and I'm making a new appointment for next week. The lady asks Bodie if he wants a sticker and he said, "Yep." So I bring down the bucket with the stickers and ask Bodie to pick one. He keeps inching the bucket closer to him without picking a sticker. So I decided to help him pick a sticker. I showed him each Bee Movie and Dr. Seuss sticker and asked him if he wanted them. Each time he said, "nope." I quickly realized that he wanted that entire bucket of stickers and the bucket. I explained that he could take one. He again said, "nope." I told him he couldn't have the whole bucket and if he couldn't pick one we'd have to leave without a sticker.
Hearig the words, leave without a sticker, set off the tantrum of all tantrums and everyone in that doctor's office went deaf. I was trying to stay calm while carrying Abby in her 25 pound carseat with one hand and a screaming, kicking, stiff Bodie in the other hand. I could see the receptionist's mouth saying, "Can we help you?" I mouthed, no thank you and continued carrying/dragging my kids out the door.
When we got outside the door Bodie seemed like he might be on the verge of being rational. He was asking for a sticker. So I carried/dragged my kids back inside and asked if we could try to pick a sticker. I showed Bodie the bucket of stickers to pick one, but that bucket was way too tempting. He just had to have it. So I picked up my kids and carried/dragged them out the door for a second time. Abby was so heavy my arm was in pain and Bodie was still kicking and screaming and to top it all off my entire bra was showing and I couldn't pull my shirt up because I couldn't risk putting Bodie down because I knew he was a flight risk.
We slowly made our way through the courtyard as Bodie screamed for the entire city of Gilbert to hear. As we walked, a lady came out from another office to see if she could help, then another lady and then another. "Oh, we're fine," I said with my bra fully exposed and who knows what else exposed clinging to my children just praying I could make it to the car.
By some miracle we did make it to the car and I strapped my kids in. I sat in the drivers seat with my hair a mess, my clothes wet from struggling and sweating and my child still screaming at decibels too loud for human ears.
Instead of trying to find that big rock to hide under, I was trying to tell myself it was ok, because at least I got my exercise in for the day.

16 comments:

Mandy said...

Oh isn't motherhood fun? It definitely has it's moments though. On a side note my kids went to Pioneer Elementary for pre-school. Carter was receiving speech therapy services there so I enrolled Lexie as well and loved it!

terrah said...

I hate that sweaty feeling from wrestling kids...

Bodie must love his stickers!

Jason and Ashlee said...

If I didn't see you yesterday and hear it from your and Bodie's mouth - I wouldn't believe it - Bodie would never do anything like that. ;)

Lisa W said...

Oh, I've so been there more times than I'd like to admit! Too bad we have to take the bitter moments along with the sweet ones! Makes you want to give them extra hugs on their good days! Kind of funny that the tantrum post followed the 2nd birthday post!! Coincidence???

Jan DeGiulio said...

Was it just yesterday you wanted sweet little Bodie to stay 2 forever? I'm sorry but your story made me laugh and laugh! Thanks for helping me remember that I LOVE that my kids are adults! Is this another reason we are always to have clean underwear when we go out. At least your panties were not showing!

The DeGiulio's said...

OH man, Im sorry, sounds like it was rough. I guess its part of the joys of parenthood. I bet you have strong muscles from carrying that little Abby around in her carseat.

Auburn said...

I'm laughing. Hard. I have so been there. Gotta love it!!

Jill Freestone said...

at least you remembered your bra . . . (my cousin's last post was about forgetting her bra while the kids were crazy in public)

sorry it was a rough moment - at least it didn't carry on all day - we've all been there with you

The Jensen Family said...

I'm so glad that you let us know that you are human like the rest of us. For awhile I was thinking you were the Ultra Super Mom. I guess your just Super Mom now.

Zeann said...

Hey Super Mom with all that sweat I guess you have been baptized into motherhood. My bra never hung out much until grandkids I don't know if its different cloths or that I have lost all control but they sure seem to be able to get everything out in public.

Upward and onward MOM you are great. Love you

Vega Express said...

oh the memories....and many more to come...hang in there you are a wonderfu mom!

The Zemp Family said...

Oh my goodness I can totally relate. I am so glad you posted this I have felt like I've been going nuts lately with the amount of tantrums that are going on around our house and everywhere else. It's good to know that I am not alone. I'm so sorry this happened to you I can picture it so vividly that I think I actually felt my blood pressure rise. I hope his eye gets better soon!

The Zemp Family said...

P.S.
Great job on the creepy rock picture! HAHA...

The O'Neils said...

Bodie...no! Motherhood has it's moments and ones like this make you just want to hide :).

Zeann said...

You will be laughing about this one with tears washing mascara down everyones face at the graduation parties, the wedding showers,dinner and reception and Sunday dinners. What a great experience motherhood, and to think if you had had a hint it would happen you would have cancelled the appointment. What a wise Father in Heaven that we can't see ahead, only behind and go on having life experiences to cherish. Love you

Nanci said...

I have so, so, so many similar stories! Welcome to the "Terrible Two's". I'm just warning you, there is such thing as the "God Awful Three's" . . . I'm just saying . . .