Monday, August 24, 2009

I Think I'll be Delightful Today

Photobucket
Bacho and I returned home Saturday evening from receiving a week full of knowledge at Education week at BYU. My little flower notebook is full of morsels of wisdom from so many awesome speakers. My little brain is still trying to process and remember all the things I should be doing to be a better person. We attended classes on parenting (lots of those), marriage, the scriptures, social relationships, positive thinking, physical wellness and so many others. All were amazing and uplifting. I will spend the next several months reading and re-reading my notes to remind myself of the feelings I felt there and the councel I was given.
Although I was taught so many wonderful things, one thing sticks out more than anything else. One little phrase has been running through my mind since the moment I heard it. It was our last class of the week on Friday afternoon. We walked over to the Marriot Center (after eating 2 BYU brownies in the shade under a tree) to hear John Bytheway speak. We had been to a couple of his other classes throughout the week and this was a culmination of the entire week. As he was speaking, I was writing lots of good things down. Then he started to talk a little more slowly and asked the audience this question:
"What if you were to look in the mirror each morning and say to yourself, I think I'll be a delightful person today."
That little phrase, I think I'll be a delightful person today, was "it" for me.
It's that one little morsel from an entire week of great morsels that I needed.
I've reminded myself a hundred times since then of how things in my life and the lives of those around me could be better if I were to decide to be a delightful person each day.
It's my new favorite goal.
I will try to be a delightful person.

6 comments:

Auburn said...

You are delightful! I'm so jealous that you got to go to education week. Dave and I went last year and it was amazing. Great for me, great for our marriage, just GREAT! Glad you guys could go. Call me when you get the chance!!

Zeann said...

Yes you are truly delightful but now it will be on your mind and you will be conscious of it. So glad you could get to education week. What a dream. Love you

Jan DeGiulio said...

I'm so glad you got to go to BYU Education Week. It is always a wonderful lift to my year when I go. Thanks for the quote you told about. It is fun to think about the changes that could happen if we all did that.

Jason and Ashlee said...

What you talking about Estarci?? You are delightful. Glad you had a uplifting week - Jason and I will have to attend next year.

Mel said...

I'm sad we didn't make it down to campus in time for that one. He is such a great speaker- I'll have to get your notes. Hope you guys had a good trip back!

Marianne said...

i NEEDED TO HEAR THAT TODAY! John Bytheway lives on my parents street and my dad is his Bishop!! Crazy..I love him and everything that comes out of his mouth. I eat it up every time I go home! I am jealous of your week..that would be amazing!