Sunday, March 1, 2009

Ragnar 2009

We're back. We're alive and we had an AWESOME time!!
Such a great time that we might be Ragnar racers for life.
Here's the recap:

The race started bright and early and FREEZING in Prescott. There were six of us in our van and our other six team members in the second van. We caught sleep where we could. Here we're sleeping on the courthouse grass in Wickenburg. We all did really great on the first leg. I was running on the highway for my first run and it was so much fun. People honking and cheering gave us all a boost. Bacho had the hardest leg. He ran about 8 miles, but it was straight up the mountain road. Way to go Bacho!!!



This was our night run. I can't explain how DARK it was. As dark as these pictures are, they still can't show how dark it really was. My second leg started at midnight. There were no other runners around. Just me, my headlight, my ipod and whatever was living in the bushes.

We were all pretty tired the next day, but the race went on. Our van smelled really great by this point. We were running mostly around Fountain Hills and it was gorgeous, but really hot. It was a really hot weekend and we were running in the middle of the day in 90 degree weather after not sleeping much in 30 hours. I thought I was going to DIE on the last leg. I think Bacho could tell because he jumped out of the van and ran next to me for a while telling me I could do it. He was being so sweet, but I told him to get back in the van and go ahead to the next checkpoint. It was making it worse that my whole team was watching me almost die. I think my exact words at that moment were, "This sucks rocks and I hate the Ragnar."

We finally finished. They placed our medals around our necks and it felt great. Great team. Great fun and a Great time! I'll be back again next year.

Thank you team RUNNING ON EMPTY!!!!!!

14 comments:

Lindsay Brummer said...

SO AWESOME!!! you are rad! I want all the details.

Jason and Ashlee said...

NICE JOB Vega's. I really wish I could have been there...but there is always next year, and other races. I'm especially proud of you Stac - you did it, and you did an awesome job!!! Thanks for taking my place on late notice.

terrah said...

Wow, you guys are amazing! I'm so impressed that you all did well and had fun... and that you want to do it again next year!

Jason and Ashlee said...

AH-Hem, Jason just informed me that you did not say "this sucks rocks" I believe your exact words were - "this sucks A$$"!!!

It's ok Stac - we all slip sometimes. When you have a run like that, you can say whatever you want.

Jan DeGiulio said...

I loved hearing about the race! You are all amazing. How sweet of Bacho to get out of the van and run a little bit more to help you out Staci. It was fun to read about your progress on facebook. CONGRATULATIONS ALL! -Jan DeGiulio

The DeGiulio's said...

You guys are amazing, it sounds like it was quite the race. Especially running at midnight in the dark, sleeping when you could etc.

mandy said...

That last leg was definately torture!! I'm in awe that you would even say yes after just having a baby. You totally rock!!

Auburn said...

Yeah! That's so great that you did it! I'm proud of you. You are amazing. You are making me want to do it!

Kate said...

I'm actually glad to hear from Ashlee what you actually said. I feel a little bit better about myself.

Awesome job you guys! You should be feeling like a rock star right about now.

Lori Hopkins said...

Nice work! Sounds exhausting but looks like you guys had fun!

The Zemp Family said...

That is so awesome! I am happy that you had such a great time.

Jill Freestone said...

very very impressive, especially so recently having a baby - how satisfying for you!

Vega Express said...

Way to go!!! I did it last June in Utah the Wastch Back, Ragnar. It was an awesome experience. Crazy huh? My favorite leg was my night run and yeah pitch black. Congratulations Everyone...Good Job!

Zeann said...

So much fun to hear about the race. I would have broken a leg trying to stay far away from what lurks in the bushes. So glad you guys are brave and smart and fun and know how to have a good time making wonderful memories. Love you