Thursday, January 22, 2009

Heaven on Earth

In my house lives a little boy named Bodie who likes to talk........ALOT. And although I love Bodie and his many, many thoughts that turn into many, many words throughout the day, there comes a day in every mom's life where she'd like to just be alone with her own thoughts and not hear every thought her child has.
Yesterday was my day. I needed just a brief moment of peace to make dinner. So I did the only thing I could think of at the time. I turned on the easy listening station on the TV and told Bodie (in a whisper) that when the easy listening channel is on...we don't talk. "Ok," I said. "Shhhhhhh, we just listen."
For the next 20 minutes I made breakfast casserole and German pancakes (for our breakfast extravaganza to celebrate Lost being back on the air. I don't know what breakfast has to do with Lost, but I made it anyway) and Bodie watched me while he sat in his highchair occasionally humming to Peter Cetera and The Carpenters. Abby snoozed in the Baby Bjorn attached to me ( I was extra careful not to get her leg in the oven) and we all enjoyed our own thoughts that we kept to ourselves.
It was heaven on earth right there in my kitchen for a whole 20 minutes.

5 comments:

Bacho said...

By the way dinner/breakfast was wonderful. THANKS.

Jason and Ashlee said...

Maybe you found the secret. Pretty soon Bodie will be signing peter cetara songs :) Call me next time and I will come get him and go to the park or something.

Zeann said...

What a brilliant mom and I am amazed at Bodie's understanding. You are incredible. That is a beautiful habit to get into. I keep telling the teenagers you have earned the blessing of hearing that still small voice and visiting with it and pondering with it but if you are always texting, on the phone, the radio, or with friends you forfeit your blessings. Be still and hear. This is a wonderful start.Love you

Marny said...

That is hilarious! I'm still in the phase of trying to get Garrett to talk more and loving when he says the few words that he says. Maybe I will try to enjoy these silent moments more before he really starts going :)

Jill Freestone said...

wise mommy, can't believe he did it for you - very impressive. I'm getting to the point when I'm realizing how sad its going to be when eliza goes to kindergarten this fall and gives me the half day of quiet I've wanted for years and how "too quiet" it really will be. ah, enjoying the moments -right!?